Thursday, May 3, 2012

Journal #6 Blood Wedding

Which characters appear to be miserable int he play and why?  When and how do the characters express their misery? What do the characters desire and what stops them from going after what each desires? 


The mother is the most miserable character because she has already lost a husband and son, and soon will lose another. By the way she constantly expresses her hatred towards the Felix and the pain it caused her, it is evident she had not started the healing process what so ever. She is constantly suspicious of anyone with the name Felix and this causes herself more misery because she is not free, but weighted by these heavy emotions. "I ache down to the end of my veins! On all their faces, I see nothing but the hand that killed what was mine. Do you seem? Don't I seem mad to you? Well, I am mad-from not having shouted out everything I needed to. I have a scream in my throat" (60). From this quote, the mother describes how repressed she is from expressing her emotions. The people around her tell her to "leave it alone!" (60) or "Control yourself! What do you gain from this?" (16). Thus, because of society the mother dwells in her misery, only able to express it when she has the rare chance, only to get shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment