Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Journal #4 Blood Wedding

Two symbols that emerged in Act I are flowers and walls. The mother brings up both of them. She describes the knives as evil and the creation of monsters that destroyed her husband and son who were like flowers. She uses different flowers to describe them: carnations, germanium, and several others throughout the play. The mother treats the wall as her commitment. "I didn't look at anyone. I looked at your father, and when they killed him, I looked at the wall in front of me. One woman with one man, and that's it" (10). And again, she mentions the wall with her commitment to her husband and honoring his death. "Because I will dig him up with my fingernails! And all by myself, I will smash him against the wall!" (9). There is a metaphorical and physical wall. One that blocks the mother from the outside world and one she uses to destroy. The mother varies in tone, from beautiful flowers to smashing against walls. It shows her distress from the lives lost. Lorca uses a lot of nature in the play. Flowers are one of the natural beauties in the world. Describing people as flowers shows genuine beauty and kindness. The wall is man made. Marriage is man made. Jealousy, anger, killing, love are all derived from men. When the mother talks about her commitment as a wall, she makes it sound like something she was enslaved to, not necessarily out of love.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your description of a physical and metaphorical wall as a sense of conflict within Mother. I think you should elaborate on how specifically she uses the physical wall to "destroy". I also talked about symbols that showed the Mother's commitment and loyalty to her husband, but instead of the wall I chose sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your interpretation of the symbol of the wall. I hadn't noticed how much that symbol recurred. I would agree with your interpretation- I noticed the wall analogy by the Mother I think in scene III when she was giving the Bride advice on the marriage. I also noticed the contrast of nature representing life and man-made things representing death/negative aspects. I think it would be interesting if you connected the wall & men to the end when the Mother has no men left in her life because they have all died.

    ReplyDelete